Combating Antisemitism Through Education
JCRC proactively combats antisemitism through our “Stand Up! Speak Out!” initiative, which involves several programs designed to reduce bigotry against, and ignorance of, Jews and the Jewish community. We serve as a resource and partner to schools, employers, and Jewish families as they navigate anti-Jewish incidents.
JCRC distributes a 7-year calendar of major Jewish holidays to help raise awareness and minimize conflicts. We promote accurate education about Jews, Judaism, Jewish history, and Israel in schools throughout Indiana by encouraging teachers to use common-core aligned curricular materials they can trust in their classrooms. JCRC believes that education and constructive dialogue are the most effective ways to minimize hate and reduce division between communities.
- Helped organize interfaith solidarity event at CST following antisemitic vandalism
- Organized solidarity vigil at IHC following antisemitic murders at Tree of Life synagogue
- Concluded second full year of our Stand Up! Speak Out! initiative to help Jewish youth confront antisemitism
- “Student to Student” trained a dozen local teens who presented to well over 100 non-Jewish students in high schools around central Indiana
- David Bernstein, JCPA CEO spoke about BDS and the antisemitism on the left
- Facilitated ADL workshop “Words to Action” for BEZ & IHC 7th & 8th graders
- Coordinated trip to CANDLES Holocaust Museum for BEZ + IHC 7th and 8th graders
- Supported students, parents, administrators at local middle & high schools address concerning incidents and problematic materials used in classrooms
- Compiled annual report of antisemitic incidents for ADL
- Coordinated media interviews report on the local rise in antisemitism
- Partnered with Indiana University’s Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism for day-long Antisemitism Symposium at Indianapolis Public Library attracting over 100 attendees
- Received YoPhi Teen Board Grant for Student to Student
- Liaison for Holocaust remembrance programs for Jewish community, IUPUI, State of Indiana, City of Carmel
- Distributed educational resource guide to schools
- Distributed Calendar of Jewish Holidays to schools & government offices
- Distributed free curricular materials to Indiana teachers at the Indiana Council for the Social Studies conference, helping educators teach accurately about Jews, Judaism, Jewish History & Israel.